Thursday, June 15, 2006

Paranoia

Do you ever get that slightly paranoid feeling that people take one look at you and think you are completely bonkers?

Today was one of those rare moments when I felt like ignoring my usual casual sloppy look and dressing up. The white and black flowery Zara skirt came out the wardrobe, I put on a necklace and bracelet and then to finish it off I shunned the clod hopper DM sandals and went for my extremely impractical high heel wedges. I bought them last year in a fit of madness; I discovered that while they were great for getting me up the hill for those late evening summer drinks getting back down the hill was hugely problematic. I had to do it barefoot once (dodging all the dog poo – niiice) and there after I shoved my flip flops in my bag for the journey home. But I can never quite finish it off, I couldn’t be bothered to wash my hair so I braided them into a pair of pig tails and off I tottered extremely slowly.

After coming back from lunch –safe in the knowledge that I had now learned to walk in these damn shoes – I discovered that as promised Derek had brought in a Basil plant for me. I took it upstairs terrified that I might drop it and deposited it safely on my desk then e mailed Derek to ask for specific notes on how to care for the thing. He had grown it from a seed so I don’t want to kill it straight away do I?

As I left work I fully intended to look for a plastic bag to put the plant in, but I got distracted by Colleen who was looking through photos of last week’s trip and then Derek turned up and began repeating the care tips for the plant and before I knew it I was tottering away with the plant carefully cradled in my hand.

Then as I was changing lines there was a bit of a wait so I sat on a bench still lovingly cradling the plant and out of the corner of my eye I saw an elderly gentleman surveying me with a bemused look on his face. He was trying to hide it, but he was looking very carefully; from the tree tattoo on my ankle to the flowery skirt, the flowery handbag and then the plant clutched in my hand. All of a sudden the image of that woman who walked around cradling her log in Twin Peaks flashed into my mind. Am I being paranoid?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, you're not being paranoid, you're just a nutter :)

Unknown said...

Don't you have some PODding to do? ( ;
Anyway I'm getting changed now, Princess Basil look won't go down too well in the pub for the England match. I wonder if Crouch will score and do this famous Robot dance of his. Now he's a nutter.

Unknown said...

I broke a toe once - high shoes should come with a health warning!
Not responding to the footy comments and neither is Skint, so there!!

Unknown said...

I think that Princess Basil would have been hurt and disappointed by that last comment Minx, but Verilion's on a high today ... not only did England win, but it was two Liverpool goalscorers. YEEes!

Debi said...

Better to be looked at like you're a bit deranged than ignored ...

Anonymous said...

If you've read debi's book, Nirvana Bites, you'll realise she knows what she's talking about. ;)

Unknown said...

I'm watching really, I just have to keep up appearances y'know!

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can shorten your long links with LinkShrink and make $$$ from every visit to your shortened links.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...