Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Writing on Wednesday: David Almond

Where and when do you write? 

In my office, a converted attic at the top of our house. When I'm at home, I write every weekday. Just now I spend a fair amount of time writing on trains.

Quote taken from here

I was first introduced to David Almond by a colleague ten years ago. She was reading Skellig to her sons and suggested I read it to my class. Since then I've read Skellig many, many times and each time I get something new out of it. What I love about Almond's books is that he identifies and addresses issues that do affect children; yet he does so by blending the real with the magical.  The books can be painful and dark as a child's world can be, and yet there is always hope.

On a more pedestrian note, after hunting around the internet for a picture of this week's featured writer's writing room I realised two things. Firstly, the Guardian has been running the series 'Writer's Rooms' since 2007. Secondly, the SCBWI pictures I referred to last week all come from the afore mentioned Guardian series. Ho hum...

There was, of course, a third thing I realised: you can't always find a picture of the writing room.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...