Monday, February 06, 2012

Well, I wonder...

Before the holidays a young man visited the school as he was thinking about being a teacher and I may have been a little less than positive about teaching. It's not that I don't like being a teacher, but sometimes I just wonder what it would be like to have done something else. The only ever job I considered seriously apart from teaching was being a journalist, but then I didn't think I could be ruthless enough:


And I did do some voluntary work for the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers.


But sometimes I just wonder. You know, sometimes I browse the 'What's hot' pages of Google+ before going to bed. Not for the cat videos I'll have you know, but to catch some images like this:


or this:


I just wonder what it would be like to discover some of these amazing things. To look out into the universe and wonder what's going on out there. 

So in the end I may have only ever been a teacher, but I'm one with a bit of an imagination and although I won't be a journalist, or a conservation worker or an astronaut, or astrophysicist, I can imagine whole new worlds and books and... 

And for many reasons and no reason at all, I'll finish with this:


Book cover images are from Google image search, Nasa very kindly GIVE THESE PHOTOS AWAY. Aren't they lovely? And the video, well I was going with the title and there is much wondering in this clip, although the version of Please, please, please let me get what I want is actually by The Dream Academy, but this is film is great isn't it?

3 comments:

Dad Who Writes (Gabriel) said...

There was a book I loved in the school library of images of school planets (I may have blogged about it somewhere). One was of a settlement, the first human one, on a planet a long way away under alien stars.

Part of me still wishes we could settle there. But not so much as it used to.

Andrew Leon said...

Hmm... I've been a lot of things, including a teacher, but I think writer is the best.
Apart from dad, that is.

Unknown said...

I think there might be days where I'd like to live on that colony Gabriel (like last night)! Otherwise, it's funny the things that stick with us. We had this National Geographic double sided poster. One side was a map of the world and the other a star map and moonscape, that was my favourite side.
And Andrew I like your job rating.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...