Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Writing on Wednesday: A round of applause

As this is the last post of 2010 I thought I would reflect on what I have achieved this year.

  1. I finally picked up a pen and wrote something, instead of just thinking about it. 
  2. I wrote about 15,000 words of A Fish's Tale.
  3. The Trelawney Funerals came back to haunt me. No idea how much I wrote there, it was all in pen, in a notebook I had to wrestle back off the bubba who was enjoying scribbling all over every page.
  4. I resurrected the ole blog.
  5. I read: The Children's Book by AS Byatt, Saturday by Ian McEwan, The Book of Lost Things by John Connelly, Mortlock by Jon Mayhew, On Love by Alain de Botton, Superior Saturday by Garth Nix, The Bandini Quartet by John Fante, A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbry, Mr. Toppit by Charles Elton, One Day by David Nicholls, The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick and The Other Hand by Chris Cleave. There may have been some others, and on the whole I've read really good books this year. As I was writing the list I kept thinking: Oh great read. Oh yeah, I really enjoyed that. Oh, brilliant that. The last few were the duds unfortunately. 
  6. I signed up to do NaNoWriMo in October.
  7. I spent October planning A Twist in the Tail down to the nth degree (or so I thought).
  8. In November I wrote like a demon. 
  9. I organised four write-ins and met some chatty writers!
  10. I was introduced to the program Scrivener. Although it is bugging like crazy at the mo, in its current Beta 4 version, it's still brilliant. 
  11. I wrote 50,000 words and became a NaNo winner.
  12. Incidentally that was also the first draft of A Twist in the Tail.
  13. The revision is now at just over 5,000 words. I wrote four new chapters for the revision and cut three and a half of them!
  14. I got back into the critique group. 
  15. I have a name written in a notebook. She sounds like a pretty amazing character, but she's real and I'm not sure what I want to do with her, because I've never done faction before, nor do I know whether I want to do faction.
  16. I started scribbling down yet another first chapter for the Sands of Time. There are ideas kicking around there, but this will definitely be a 2011 project. 
  17. When I first sat in front of my computer in the summer, terrified at the thought of writing again, I couldn't do it. I could not frame a single good sentence. Not one word came. So I started to write a dancy/play/Japanese type thing. This thing has filled my head for years and years. This music is kind of like my muse, so I will leave you with a little bit of it.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like a good and productive year - and welcome back to blogging and writing! :-) Here's to 2011 being even more productive and filled with success xxx

Unknown said...

Thank Nicky. I hope that good things will happen in 2011. It seems we are putting an offer in on a flat!

Marie said...

I agree, a good and productive year. Well done! And it's great to see you back blogging too.

All the best for 2011!

Marie xx

Unknown said...

Thanks Marie, I hope next year can be just as productive. I'm picking kitchens at the moment!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a lot writing, well done you. Here's to another successful year in 2011.

x

Unknown said...

Thanks Nat, and looking forward to reading something of yours next year. x

Unknown said...

Hi Michele.
Sounds nice!
I still fight with the post Nano disease - I do hope to get rid of it and finish my book.
Good luck for 2011 and see you online :-)
c.c.s.

Unknown said...

Hi CC, even before I had finished NaNo I had set myself another goal. Lia has lots of goal ideas over at Scribblerati, maybe that will help. I look forward to reading that you've finished. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...