Thursday, July 19, 2007

Scary Biscuits

When I was about thirteen I went through a phase of reading ‘horror’. I ploughed through Stephen King and Clive Barker novels like there was no tomorrow and generally they scared the crap out of me. And then I don’t know whether I stopped because I learnt the formula or whether I just got fed up with being scared, but to this day I haven’t picked up another ‘horror’ book and I’m hard pushed to go and see a ‘horror’ movie (although I have to say I just didn’t find the Blair Witch Project scary).

The book I am reading at the moment is about a world gone rampant. The characters are extraordinary and varied, but the main protagonists are hell bent on destruction. As I read of their catalogue of horrors each night I go to sleep with a deep feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach. It’s not that the book is predictable, far from it, it’s just there can only be one ending: Apocalypse.

So how comes I find myself reading the scariest book since ‘The Thief of Always’? Well I may have mentioned this before, but I’m reading ‘The Weather Makers’ by Tim Flannery. I think the type of books he usually writes are light hearted romps into the world of Natural Science and his native land of Australia. This; however, is terrifying. Yeah, he might talk about ‘diddle’ penguins and Species C that hasn’t even been named yet, but in the next sentence he explains very carefully why they are all going to DIE. Before we make this planet completely uninhabitable we are going to become a very uniform, hot, boring place and the word diversity will become a word from yesteryear. I’m only a third of a way through it and I really do want to get to the ‘...what we can do about it’ bit, but in the meantime, here are some of my thoughts (which I may already have mentioned here):

  • Change to a Green Energy company. France has finally taken the energy monopoly away from EDF and GDF and companies like Enercoop produce energy using only sustainable/renewable energy sources.
  • Walk/cycle/take a bus/metro. In fact please do the first three so that I’m not so cramped on the metro.
  • Do you have to take that plane? Could you let the train take the strain?
  • Recycle
  • Do an audit at work. How many people turn off their computers when they are away for more than five minutes? And lights? (OK lights are a tricky one. If you use fluorescent ones, it’s actually more energy efficient to leave them on, otherwise turn them off. Also in this climate of Global Warming light creates heat, so leaving lights off means you are a wee bit cooler and don’t need so much air con).

I know that the green lobby can come across as evangelical, but we don’t have much time left. Read the book, you’ll see for yourself.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed by how much water we use.

When we are up in the mountains and forced to hand collect water, we use about 7 or 8 gallons a day for 4 people, including bathing. I think the statics are 65 gallons a person per day for "nomal" life.

Unknown said...

Wow! Well you're making me feel better about not doing the dishes everyday.

Unknown said...

Of course there is now a school of thought that says this climate change has nothing to do with greenhouse emissions and has everything to do with natural fluctuations which caused things like the last ice age. What they evidently forget is that prior to the ice age, a giant meteor hit the earth. But you can just bet how many companies are going to try and join the natural change lobby - so they can carry on doing that which has got us into this mess in the first instance.

Unknown said...

Actually, a serbian scientist called Milankovich discovered why the ice ages occured and it's all very complicated really; but to cut to the chase it's about cycles around the sun and the Earth's axis, thus his two cycles operate on a 100,000 year cycle and 44,000 year cycle. Obviously we all know that the change we are experiencing at the moment is a bit faster than that. So tell that to those fuddy duddy school's of thought who are obviously sticking their heads in the ground and wondering how much more coal they can burn.

Marie said...

Great post. I too am fed up with people telling me that climate change is just a natural process.

I believe everyone should do their bit to save the planet, but sadly, I don't think many people care.

I certainly try to do my bit.

Debi said...

Great post, V. There's always more we can do ...

Unknown said...

I think people do kind of care Marie, but there is a lot of misinformation swimming around out there and you need time to sift through it all.
And Debi we can all do more. I'm trying, honest I am.

Blogger said...

There's a chance you're eligible for a new government solar program.
Click here and find out if you qualify now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...