Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The late Sunday Roast: It's all in the sauce

The Sunday roast is a little late this week as I'm not actually at home. In fact I'm not even cooking. My Mum is. I'm sorry to be boasting, but my Mum is actually a very good cook, which probably explains why I love food. I think in a bizarre and twisted way it also explains why every now and again I crave junk food, but never mind that.

Anyway, Mum's cooking was always very international, what with Mauritius being the island where all the nationalities came together (and not just to make a mean curry). Mauritian food is a mixture of traditional African , Indian, Chinese and French food, mix that all together and you get Mauritian creole food (note that the British who did eventually take over the island and ruled it until 1968 didn't have much influence on the cuisine).

One of my favourite dishes as a kid was mein (pronounced min). Now strictly speaking it's pretty much a stir fry, but my Mum's is always so much better than my stir fry. So here for the first time (on my blog) the secret of the super stir fry mein is going to be shared. Mum says the secret is in the preparation, but I know from communing with me and my wok, that it's actually in the sauce.

Mein

Any vegetables you like, chop them thin and diagonally if possible
any meat/fish/chicken/seafood sliced in thin and diagonal slices too (obviously prawns are exempt from this)
so basically you put in whatever you want, right.
fresh coriander
1 or 2 cloves of garlic
a dash of salt
pepper
2 tsp of (meat use) soya sauce/
(everything else) light soya sauce
2 tbsp vegetable stock
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp seasame oil
2 tbsp red wine/port (alcohol - see, oh no maybe you don't yet, but you will)
medium or fine egg noodles

sauce
3/4 spring onions thinly chopped (keep a handful some aside)
1 lemon juice
1 big clove of garlic crushed
2 tbsp of olive oil
a little bit of water to loosen the sauce
1 green chilli
seasoning

  1. Prepare the veg and mix with coriander, garlic and a dash of soya sauce
  2. Heat half the oil in the wok until very hot.
  3. (Fry meat or chicken until cooked).
  4. Put the veg that takes the longest to cook in first, when that starts to soften add the rest.
  5. If the wok begins to dry add the stock as necessary, a little at a time.
  6. (Add fish or seafood now).
  7. When everything is cooked remove from the wok and set aside.
  8. Without washing the wok add some boiling water and cook the noodles according to packet instructions, stirring all the time.
  9. When the noodles are cooked add some cold water and drain.
  10. Add the rest of the oil to the wok until very hot.
  11. Gradually add the noodles, veg and meat/chicken/seafood in equal portions. At the same time add the wine and soya sauce to prevent sticking. Keep stirring (don't stop).
  12. This is a completely optional thing that we're just hearing about NOW! Make a plain omelette and slice it thinly in diagonals and sprinkle on top of the mein.
  13. Sprinkle with the set aside spring onions.
  14. Make the sauce.
Eat while it's still hot and I hope you enjoy.

By the way, my mother does not follow recipes. She invents stuff that tastes good, and boy is it difficult to write a recipe following her instructions! She also thinks that the main ingredient is good 'ole TLC.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mum is exactly the same when it comes to cooking and her food is good to, my mum makes a good mein and I can never seem to get it the same.

Unknown said...

We'll have to try and compare then. And then see if they're keeping a secret ingredient from us!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...