Sunday, October 03, 2010

The Sunday Roast: Magic Mushrooms

In the past the thing that I liked about the onset of autumn was that a new series of ER would start, there would be mushrooms in the shops and pumpkins. Well, ER is gone for good and the two vegetables the frog really can't stand are mushrooms and pumpkin. The pumpkin soup is not such a big deal since Covent Garden Soups started appearing in the local Monoprix. They provide lovely winter warmth and far more variety than the 3 litres of pumpkin soup I would churn out. The mushrooms; however, are a bit of a problem. I love them. There are so many varieties, they have such cool names: horn of plenty, pied de mouton, chanterelle, shitake. And they taste so damn nice. The weekend before my daughter was born I was hosting a dinner party for six. Mushroom stroganoff was the main, with a separate chicken dish for the frog. And the reason that I was thinking of mushrooms today was because I still had two thirds of a punnet in the fridge. A friend had come round for mushroom curry during the week, but I won't share that recipe, because it wasn't the recipe. I think I have a much better korma recipe somewhere that I will share when I find it.

So yep, there I was with some spare mushrooms that really needed eating and what could I do? When I remembered my other staple pasta dish, I got so excited about eating it that I forgot to make something else for the frog!


Creamy Mushroom Pasta

1 onion
1 garlic clove
button mushrooms (as many or as little as you want), chopped
3 tbs (or more) creme fraiche/sour cream
1/2 tsp paprika
pepper
a knob of butter
  1. Cook the pasta.
  2. Melt the butter in a pan.
  3. Cook the onion and garlic till soft.
  4. Add mushrooms and cook for a few minutes.
  5. Add 2 tablespoons of cream, the paprika and pepper, stir and simmer for a few minutes.
  6. When the mushrooms are soft and just before serving add the rest of the cream.
Enjoy. 

Picture from the Internet

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...