Sunday, May 06, 2007

Eskimos

I’ve now written 17,510 words (in order) of my YA book. I have also added some more bits in the middle and towards the end because you know you just can’t forget that great line. Probably, when I get there again I’ll cut it out, but no matter.

Other things I decided this week were that I think I’m heading for about 60,000 words total. But that was kind of based on last week’s figures and then I kind of estimated how much I thought I had written and I was well off; I’ve written more.

I also decided that it was time to do a bit of research. I’ve read all about Karate, Norse creation myths, gods, Asgard and enemies. I’ve also found out about some Finnish and Slavic myths and last night I read a book about Eskimos. Yes you did read right, I wrote Eskimos. It’s from 1979 and aimed at Primary school kids. I was actually in Primary school in 1979. I have to admit that I was a bit dubious about this book because a) it was called Eskimos, b) it’s from 1979.

Still, I hope Derek Fordham won’t mind me sharing this with you guys from page 46:

We have many things such as railways, TV and big cities, which many Exkimos [in 1979] have never seen. But as well as all these advantages we have war and crime. We pollute our seas and rivers. Side by side with wealth we have great poverty.

...Eskimos made their living from the natural things around them. Because of this they caused no pollution, and their methods of hunting did not threathen to kill all of the animals.

...A long time ago the Eskimos thought they were the only people on earth and called themselves inuit: the people or the men. Their way of life required courage: it also required patience, fellow feeling and understanding. Can we claim to have these virtues too?

I’m not saying that I want to go and live in Greenland and hunt seals. It just made me think that people have been telling us for a long time to look out for our planet and the people on it. When are we going to start listening?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...